Oooooh – Aaaaaah

We went, we saw, we enjoyed: Fireworks Edition. Thank you to Target for an outstanding Freedom Festival, I wouldn’t expect anything less.

What a show! This was the first time I had ever seen fireworks from inside of a high-rise. We were overlooking the Detroit River and skyline and the fireworks were being shot off of three boats lined up in the center of the river. It was really, really great, speaking as an avid fireworks enthusiast. Before it started I had an urge to be in the crowd below to feel their energy, but it ended up being a lot of fun from up above (and much warmer.) The company upstairs made it twice as good as it would have been at ground level. And I doubt they would have had such an enthusiastic rendition of both national anthems as we provided for our fellow viewers, from the 11th floor.

The one super-bummer was that I forgot my camera in the backseat of our car. I remembered once we made it to downtown, but I had some nausea from the shuttle ride and couldn’t force myself to get back on to go back and grab it. I wanted to have a chance to try out some new techniques I’ve been practicing. Fortunately, I still had my phone and I managed to snap a couple of shots, so you can still see what a cool perspective we had.

Dave and Isaac wait as patiently as they can manage.


Here’s a good shot of the Detroit skyline in the background.


This shows one of the more exciting segments. No fillers, here!


There are pluses and negatives to having a free shuttle to a fireworks show as big as this one, as you can imagine.

The pluses:  you don’t have to find and pay for parking.

The negatives: every single person who has taken that shuttle wants to take it back at the same time.

This equals out to us waiting for about an hour and a half to get back to our car, in line with hundreds and hundreds of people who were all doing the same thing. It reminded me of the Disneyland tram line at the end of a really long day, but you can never see the front of the line. Thankfully, the line was moving at a decent pace.


Micah had it all figured out.


The boys did really well, all things considered. They were up until about 12:30 am. And they didn’t miss a beat, I heard they were up before 7 am the next morning, spending most of the day in the pool with Dave. He’s got a pretty decent sunburn on his back to prove it.


They were entertaining themselves by splashing each other. (And me, if I got too close.)


We ended the day by firing up the BBQ and then taking off shortly after eating outside. It was a great way to enter into summer, even if we were only away from home for a little over 24 hours.

A half hour into our 2-hour drive home and they were out cold.


I would call that a success!

Next post: the finale to our 3-part home tour. See you then!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s